Year-end dinners often become a challenge for those following a diet vegetarian Either vegan. However, worldwide, its prevalence has increased by an average of 8% per year.
In countries like United States, Spain and Franceadult prevalence is 2-5%, close to 10% in Germany, Sweden and Italy and in countries like India up to 30%.
Regarding the situation in our country, Silvia Aguilera, professor of the nutrition and dietetics course at the Faculty of Health Sciences of the University of Playa Ancha (UPLA), affirms that more than a million Chileans have a vegetarian diet.
“In Chile, we don’t yet have population-based prevalence studies. However, a survey published by the National Environmental Survey in Santiago de Chile in 2018 found that at least, one and a half million Chileans had a vegetarian diet“said Aguilera.
Regarding the groups in which there is more vegetarian population and what are the reasons, the nutritionist and academic of the UPLA, Camila Henríquez, points out that in our country as in the world, this type of diet has been more observed in teenagers and studentsalthough at present it has even been extended to pediatric ages.
“It has been shown that young people decide to be vegan or vegetarian mainly because of a question of animal and environmental awareness, added to the fact that they have greater access to information. Other motivations for adopting a vegetarian or vegan diet are, for example, spiritual or religious reasons, although many also refer to economic reasons,” he said.
Recommendations and ideas for New Year’s recipes
Regarding the recommendations and recipe ideas in Vegetarian or Vegan New Year’s Eve PartiesCamila Aixalá, Romina Bernales and Giselle Díaz, fifth-year students at UPLA who work in the Nutritional Care Laboratory, point out that being vegetarian or vegan requires being very knowledgeable about foods and their contents.
This, in order to choose healthy options compared to the vast amount of food that exists today. They assure that eating this type of diet does not mean that it is boring or tasteless, because there are many options that can be made vegan, especially when the rest of the family is not vegetarian or vegan, and we do not know not what preparations to use. Choose.
What recipes do the experts recommend?
Vegan Wellington Steak
- 3 vegan burgers
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium carrot
- ½ red paprika
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon red paprika powder
- ½ tbsp oregano
- 2 ½ cup flour
- 4 heaped tablespoons vegetable margarine
- ½ cup vegetable drink + 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt (about ¼ tsp)
- Water as needed
- In a bowl make a volcano of flour, add salt and margarine and mix.
- Add the vegetable drink, vinegar and water to form a paste that does not stick to your hands. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Break up the burgers until they form a paste and set aside in a bowl.
- Brown the vegetables with the soy sauce and add the chopped patties. Also add the seasonings. Take the chilled dough out and roll it out into a rectangle.
- Add the mixture to the center and spread it lengthwise, then close the dough, sealing it like an empanada and rounding the ends.
- To brown, mix the vegetable drink with the margarine and brush the dough.
Vegan strawberry mousse
- 1 box of silken tofu (340gr)
- 1 cup strawberries
- sugar free cookies
- soy drink
- sweetener to taste
- Blend the soft tofu, strawberries and sweetener in a food processor until a creamy texture is obtained.
- Grind the cookies with a splash of soy beverage to make the base of the dessert.
- Gather in verrines or verrines, add a layer of biscuits, strawberries to decorate and the tofu mousse.