One of the best things fall brings us is mushrooms. Take advantage of the season to buy all kinds of fresh mushrooms that are not available the rest of the year. Between them, chanterelles, robellones, rovellonnes or rebollones.
the chanterelles(Delicious milk cap) These are orange-colored mushrooms that grow mainly in pine forests and They are highly valued both for their flavor, more pronounced than that of normal white mushrooms, as to its texture, much fleshier than other mushrooms.
Níscalos: healthy properties
Although the composition of mushrooms in general consists almost entirely of water, it is also they contain protein, carbohydrates, fiber and minerals. In the case of chanterelles it is also like that. They are rich in antioxidants like tocopherols, ascorbic acid and carotenoids, which also give it that beautiful orange color.
The peculiarity of mushrooms is that its main carbohydrate is chitin (the same compound that forms the shells of crabs or lobsters). Both chitin and hemicellulose, alpha and beta-glucans, mannans, galactans… which contain chanterelles, They are considered a source of prebiotics.
How to cook chanterelles: chef’s tips
These kitchen hacks will allow you to cook chanterelles so that they are amazing:
How to choose the freshest chanterelles
When cut, they release a liquid (latex) also orange or reddish in color. This latex oxidizes rapidly on contact with air and that’s what sometimes doeschanterelles have green spots.
- The more time passes from collection to sale, the more these stains come out, so they are an indicator of the mushroom freshness
- When you go buy chanterelles notice they are bright orange, which have no black or brown spots, which look fresh.
How to wash chanterelles before
It is not uncommon for chanterelles to have parasites (usually small worms that live in the foot), and with washing, we favor that they come out and can clean them well.
- Once at home, wash them well and let them dry on absorbent paper.
- Cut off the very dry parts, if any, dry them well and save or use them.
Níscalos: simple and delicious recipes
Chanterelles can be eaten raw, so once cleaned you can cut them into pieces or strips, dress them and eat them, just like other mushrooms and green salads. Traditional dressings go very well garlic, vinegar or lemon and olive oil, but also herbs such as parsley, coriander, mint, sage or rosemary, to name just a few examples.
Their cooking is very simple and they admit a wide variety of preparations, from stir-fries to risottos and curries.
níscalos the iron
The simplest method that allows us to appreciate its particular flavor.
- All you have to do is cut the mushrooms to taste and cook them in a pan or on a griddle with a little oil over medium heat, making sure they brown on both sides, with a pinch of salt and a little spice if desired.
If you want them to be al dente and also with a golden flavor:
- Sauté them with vegetables such as bell pepper, onion, carrot, leek, etc. You will have a quick and tasty dish.
The advantage of chanterelles is that are able to flavor bland dishes, you can therefore take the opportunity to make rice.
- They are particularly good in risottos, to which the chopped mushrooms will be added just after poaching the onion and before the rice.
- Dishes based on dry rice like paellas, biryanis, pilaf or Chinese fried rice also look great if we add chopped chanterelles.
- You can add them at any time during the preparation, but if you want them to add a lot of flavor, add them at the beginning.
Simmered and braised chanterelles
the chanterelles They are one of the best mushrooms for all kinds of stews, stews and casseroles, both for its meaty texture (which does not fall apart) and for its flavor.
- Always cut them into medium or large pieces and add them to the sauce for more flavor.
- They look great with any legume and spice mix, as well as curries. In fact, it is one of the most consumed mushrooms in the Meghalaya region of northeast India.
It’s not a very good idea to fry them because a lot of oil will jump out and they will be tiny and have a regular flavor.
- If you want to fry them, have them breaded, breaded, tempura or pakoras and things like that. In these cases, it’s worth it because they preserve both flavor and texture.
chanterelle mushrooms for garnishes
Being juicy and very tasty mushrooms, we can use small amounts to flavor and flavor fillings pasta, empanadas, meatballs, croquettes, donuts, etc.
- Finely chop the mushrooms as long as they are for small things (croquettes for example), and in medium pieces if it is for empanadas and larger things.
How to store chanterelles
One option for storing chanterelles is to cook them. However, the truth is that baking, steaming or boiling them isn’t much fun because we take away both flavor and texture and spend more time. If you want to keep the chanterelles, it is best to blanch or cook them beforehand.
- To freeze them, blanch them for 2-3 minutes and dry them very well before putting them in a freezer container.
- If it’s for canning, don’t forget to add vinegar and salt as preservatives and they’ll last longer.