Pfirst courses with foundation, traditional and vegan minestrone soup recipes.
It is a traditional recipe from Italy, with vegetables, legumes and you can also take rice or pasta. There is no single recipe, almost every house prepares minestrone soup “in its own way”.
In another Periodista Digital article we made carrot cream, if you like spoon dishes, don’t miss these dminestrone soups,
Soups, recipes with centuries of history
Soups have been subsistence foods since prehistoric times, vegetables, animal bones and meat or fish and cereals were used.
The minestrone soup recipe has a humble origin, the vegetables they had at home, legumes, pasta or rice were added to the pot. Then boil water and cook over low heat. With these ingredients, a delicious stew was made, enough to feed the whole family.
Unlike vegetable soups, minestrone is a complete dish because it includes legumes (which contain vegetable protein), potatoes and pasta. In Italy the minestrine refers to lighter dishes with broth and vegetables, while minestrone describes a fuller soup.
Although soups are associated with the lower classes, they are alsoand soups were served at the tables of the aristocracybut in this case, ingredients considered luxury have been added.
For example in a recipe book Bartolomeo Scappi from 1570, describes various soups with cereals like millet or barley, chestnuts and vegetables.
The author tells that to enhance the meat dish, a little sugar and various spices were added. Minestrone is cooked all over Italy but in Genoa it is very traditional because its gastronomy really likes to use vegetables as protagonists.
A characteristic of this “Genoese minestrone” is the seasonality of its ingredientsin winter or spring seasonal vegetables were used.
History of minestrone soup
Minestrone is a classic of Italian cuisineIt is said that the first recipes of this soup appeared during the Roman Empire, due to the greater economic boom, the inhabitants of the Empire had access to a greater variety of vegetables, which is why the peasants could prepare recipes like this.
Originally called ‘Minestra’, a word derived from ‘ministrare’, (to put on the table), this dish is much more than a simple vegetable soup. Each region or each cook has their own version. Many are good for minestrone ingredients, potatoes, onions, peas or zucchiniis surely one of the reasons for its success.
Although the Italian origin seems to be accepted in a common way, it is not without debate. There is a hypothesis that this soup comes from a canton in southern Switzerland closely linked to Italian culture. The first one the appearance in the Italian dictionary dates back to 1839according to the Italian site neiade.com.
Francesco Cherubini in his work Vocabulary Milanese-Italian, published in Milan in 1939, mentions the term “minestron” or menestrón, and defines it as: “that soup containing rice, beans and a head of cabbage, – and often also celery, carrot and other vegetables.
Over the years, other authors such as Artusi or Felippo Tommasi Marinetti mention minestrone, but it will be necessary to wait until 1969 to see the recipe for Minestrone alla Milanesa in Perna Bozzi’s cookbook, Vecchia Milano in Cucina (Milan 1969) often called when talking about the origin of Minestrone soup.
Among the variations: in Milan it is served with chopped ham and small sausages, in Genoa it contains various aromatic herbs such as oregano, rosemary and basil.
In some regions of southern Italy, rice replaces pasta. In Sophia Lorén’s ‘Recipes and Memories’ book, she adds a large onion, 30g of chopped bacon, plus coarsely chopped spinach and a slice or two of celery.
Traditional Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Onion – 1 unit
- Garlic cloves – 4 units
- Celery – 2 stalks
- Carrot – 1 unit
- Canned sifted natural tomatoes – 250 g
- Shark type pasta for soup -100 g
- Dried oregano – 1 teaspoon
- Dried basil – 1 tsp
- Chicken broth – 1.2 liters
- Cooked red beans – 100 g
- Parmesan cheese – 60g
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Wash and cut the vegetables into pieces.
- Peel and cut the onion.
- In a pot or pan add the olive oil. heat over low heat, add the onion and sauté until it changes color for about two minutes.
- Peel and cut the garlic into large pieces. Add to the onion and sauté for 1 minute, without letting them burn.
- Remove the garlic and cut it into small pieces.
- Add the carrot and celery to the skillet, sauté for two minutes.
- Add spices, oregano and basil.
- Then the sifted natural tomato and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the shark paste, the fried and chopped garlic cloves and the cooked pinto beans, cook for 9 minutes over low heat.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, turn off the heat and let stand.
- Taste, adjust the pinch of salt and pepper and sprinkle with grated cheese.
How to make vegan minestrone soup
Another easy version but in this case without plant-based ingredients.
- Onions – 2 units
- Carrots – 2 units
- Celery stalk – 1 unit
- Potatoes – 2 units
- Frozen peas – 150 g
- Whole peeled and seedless tomatoes – 2 (these can be canned)
- Garlic cloves – 2 units
- Zucchini – 1 unit
- Shark type pasta for soup -100 g
- Concentrated vegetable stock cube – 1
- Water – 600ml
- Extra virgin olive oil –
- Fresh basil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Pepper – a pinch
- Cut the onions, garlic, carrot and celery stick.
- Add 4 tablespoons of virgin olive oil and sauté the vegetables over low heat for 5 minutes. Until they take on a more golden tone.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes, open the can of whole tomatoes and cut them into cubes as well. Add to stir-fry.
- Cook for 7 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. You will see that tomatoes release a lot of water. Try the stir-fry if it’s slightly sour, add a teaspoon of sugar to balance out the sourness. It depends on the type of tomato, there are cans that come out sour and others that don’t.
- Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in 600 ml of water. youYou can also use homemade or brick vegetable broth.
- Add water and chicken broth to the ingredients we are cooking.
- Cook for 18 minutes over low heat.
- After 18 minutes we will add the peas and pasta and a little olive oil. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with a little pepper, adjust the salt and sprinkle with basil.
- Let stand 3 minutes before serving.
You might also like
easy chestnut soup
Did you like the minestrone soup recipes? On Facebook, you can find more choices.