There are as many Spanish gastronomic possibilities as the tastes of each house, but, although it is not easy to establish a specific menu for all families, it is true that there are famous dishes that are eaten during these Christmas dates in each Autonomous Community.
Some of them are the escudella i la carn d’olla catalana, tripe with chickpeas and red cabbage from Madrid, cardoon from Aragon and the pancake of scorpion fish from Euskadi. And although each family eats different dishes and gives them their own personal touch, we have compiled the most traditional form of these recipes, in case this year you dare to make them in your kitchen.
Escudella and carn d’olla by the famous chef, expert in classic Catalan cuisine, Nandu Jubany. Ration for 8 or 10 people.
For the shield:
- Put six liters of cold mineral water in a large saucepan and add the washed bones inside: two veal knees, 1 kg of salted pork loin and a pig’s trotter.
- When it begins to boil, skim off the impurities from the first layer with a slotted spoon.
- Then add a half-round of veal, a half-neck of lamb, a pig’s ear and 200 g of salted bacon. Cover and leave on the heat for half an hour.
- Once the time has elapsed, add the outer part of a cabbage, two leeks, two Figueres onions, a stalk of celery, three carrots. Cover and simmer for another half hour.
- When the vegetables are half cooked, add two chicken thighs and three whole potatoes. Cover and leave on the heat for 20-25 minutes.
For the pious (this mixture is also used to garnish the pebbles):
- In a salad bowl, put one kg of chopped boneless bacon, three eggs, garlic, parsley, 16 g of salt and two g of pepper. Mix until a homogeneous mass remains.
- Cover with a little flour and shape into two pieces.
- Distribute the escudella broth in another pot if the pious do not fit in it and put the mass to boil for 30-35 minutes. When ready, remove and set aside and add the broth back to the soup tureen.
- In another pot, add the broth from the bowl and boil a cabbage for 12 minutes.
- Remove and reserve the cabbage.
- In the cabbage broth, cook two black puddings for 15 minutes. Over time, add the broth to the bowl of soup.
- When everything is cooked, use the broth from the escudella to top off a dish with 200g of cooked chickpeas.
- Remove all ingredients from the soup tureen and set aside.
- Filter the broth and bring it to the boil to cook 150 g of rice. Three minutes after adding the rice, add 150g of noodles. Leave for 12 more minutes.
- Cut the animal ingredients with the pilota and put them on a tray to form the carn d’olla. Put the vegetables on another plate.
- Mix the ingredients to taste with the rice noodle soup.
Tripe with chickpeas and red cabbage. The basic recipe of Casa Dani with the added touch of chickpeas and red cabbage typical of traditional Madrid Christmas cuisine.
- The day before, soak the chickpeas that will be used for the tripe.
- Cook the offal: leg, snout and breast of veal with a good piece of ham so that the cooking takes on a perfect aroma. Cooking should be slow, normally about three hours.
- Cook the chickpeas over low heat so that the flavors combine well.
- When almost cooked, debone the thighs and brown them with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped onion, garlic and red pepper. Add the bay leaf and paprika almost at the end, so that the ingredients are smooth and well integrated.
- Add the meat to the sauce and simmer until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Add the cooked chickpeas.
- Finally, try the sauce to add the dash of salt.
- When finished, add the finely chopped Asturian chorizo and pork pudding and the red cabbage, previously cut into small pieces and cooked in salted water over medium heat for 20 minutes.
in the basque country
Scorpion fish cake from the Torres brothers, a recipe popularized by Arzak at the start of new Basque cuisine in the seventies.
- Remove the head and tail from a 1.5 kg scorpionfish.
- prepare a bouquet garnithat is to say, a bunch of herbs tied with a leek, a bit of bay leaf, a sprig of rosemary and another of thyme.
- Cook the body of the scorpion fish in a saucepan with water. Add an onion and a carrot, 10 peppercorns and the bouquet garni. Leave to cook for about 12 minutes without boiling hard.
- Carefully separate the skin and bones from the redfish meat. Reserve the meat.
- Beat six eggs in a bowl with 250 ml sauce and 200 ml heavy cream. Season.
- Grease the rectangular pan with butter and put breadcrumbs on the butter on the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Mix the scorpion meat with the mixture of eggs and cream.
- To make it in a water bath, use a tray with water and a grid on top, where the mold filled with the mixture will be placed. Cover the baking sheet and place in the oven for 75 minutes at 200 degrees.
- For the vinaigrette: mix a teaspoon of mustard, a little lime juice, a tablespoon of sherry vinegar and two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Unmold the terrine, cut it and place it on a flat plate.
- Put the vinaigrette around and decorate with sprouts of aromatic herbs to taste and a little olive oil on top.
Stewed cardoon with almond sauce from the restaurant of the hotel Casa Arcas, located in the Benasque Valley in Huesca.
- Cut four chives into regular one centimeter pieces and cook them over low heat without browning them.
- Add 500 g of toasted chopped almonds and continue cooking for two minutes, taking care not to burn them.
- Add 100 g of chopped ham and stir a few times.
- Add two tablespoons of flour and mix well so that there are no lumps.
- Add two dl of quality chicken broth in three times, stirring with a chopstick. Cook for two minutes over low heat.
- Add 800g of cooked cardoon in pieces and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. If necessary, add more broth.
- Adjust the salt and remove from the heat.
- If you wish, you can accompany it with four poached eggs.
If you don’t want to miss any of our articles, subscribe to our newsletters